Intermediate or Senior Transportation Engineer
Location: Kelowna, BC | Vancouver, BC
Closing Date: November 15, 2023
Intermediate or Senior Transportation Engineer
Want to help shape communities for a more sustainable and resilient future? Keen to work for an agile employee-owned organization that truly offers flexibility and support for wherever you are at in your life and career?
Put your engineering skills and passion for creating more livable communities into action by joining WATT Consulting Group’s collaborative Multi-modal Transportation Team as our next Intermediate or Senior Transportation Engineer.
At WATT, we are passionate about creating innovative and effective solutions for transportation challenges in communities of all sizes. We offer expert knowledge and exceptional results to our public and private clients across Western Canada. Our team is committed to finding unique solutions for pedestrian, bicycle, transit, safety and automobile transportation issues through comprehensive planning, design, and collaboration with industry experts.
We are looking for a motivated mid-career transportation engineer to join our busy team based in either our Kelowna or Vancouver, BC office, with the opportunity to support projects from our other offices in Western Canada. A remote position is open to prospective candidates residing in other areas within the Southern Interior of British Columbia, encompassing the Okanagan region, or in the Kamloops and the Kootenay regions. Candidates residing within the Metro Vancouver region are also welcome.
If you share our vision for multi-modal and sustainable transportation and aspirational to advance your career, join us in our mission to design thoughtful transportation plans and infrastructure for thriving communities.
About the Role
As an Intermediate or Senior Transportation Engineer at WATT, you will have the opportunity to play a key role in a variety of mobility projects and help develop our practice. You will be involved in everything from multi-modal planning and design to traffic operations and impact assessments. Your primary focus will be to oversee transportation engineering projects from start to finish, with the help of junior and technical team members. Additionally, you will provide transportation engineering expertise to your colleagues in both advisory and supportive capacities, contributing to a collaborative and integrated project approach. The following specific duties and responsibilities are expected:
- Ensure the successful delivery of transportation engineering projects, including scheduling, budgeting, client communication, and compliance with corporate quality control processes.
- Leverage your technical expertise in transportation engineering to provide clients with practical and effective solutions for network analysis, transportation impact assessments, active transportation planning and design, and multi-modal road safety.
- Take charge of the conceptual and functional design of transportation facilities such as transit exchanges, bike/pedestrian paths, intersections, and other multi-modal infrastructure.
- Collaborate with WATT team members by assisting other project managers, conducting peer-reviews, and mentoring junior staff.
- Represent WATT in client, community, and council meetings and other public engagement activities, effectively communicating technical information.
- Write clear and concise documentation for projects, including technical letters, memos, and reports.
- Drive business development efforts by pursuing opportunities with past, current, and prospective clients, and leading proposal preparation.
- Maintain technical competency in transportation engineering and project delivery, including active participation in professional organizations and on-going professional development.
- Manage data collection programs and continuously improve the transportation practice and value delivered to clients and communities.
- Be prepared to lead by example by working alongside others on our team to continuously improve our transportation practice and the value we deliver to our clients and communities.
- Travel within British Columbia as required, as well as opportunity for travel to support other projects within Western Canada
Candidates should possess the following qualifications and skills:
- A registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or the ability to become a P.Eng. with the Engineers & Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC) within one (1) month of accepting the position.
- At least five (5+) or more years of transportation engineering experience.
- Project management / leadership skills and ability to support the management team in a growing and diverse practice preferably focused in any/all of the following areas: transportation master plans, active transportation planning and design, traffic operations and site analysis, traffic management plans for construction zones, signal timing, safety audits, traffic modeling, and traffic calming.
- Experience with ArcGIS, AutoCAD or MicroStation
- Experience using capacity analysis / microsimulation software such as Synchro / SimTraffic, and SIDRA required.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong analytical and organization skills.
- Physically located within British Columbia and able to attend in-person meetings as required.
- Direct experience managing projects with clients.
- PTOE or RSP certification is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of key technical manuals such as TAC, ITE, NACTO, and Provincial Manuals.
- Experience in the following supporting areas is an asset: parking management, transportation demand management (TDM), transit planning and operations, and civil design.
- A valid BC Drivers’ License.
WATT Consulting Group Ltd. (WATT) is a multi-disciplinary employee-owned firm offering transportation engineering and planning, civil engineering, geotechnical and geomatics services. Based out of our offices in Victoria, Vancouver, Okanagan, Calgary, Edmonton and beyond, our team undertakes projects throughout Western and Central Canada with clients that include communities, public entities, non-profits, and the private sector.
Our mission is to exceed expectations in the delivery of quality, innovative and customized solutions for each unique project, community, and client. You will be joining a team that is passionate about what we do and who hold ourselves to a high standard of excellence. We take our work to “HEART” – these are the values we hold high and strive to live by every day: Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect and Teamwork.
Our Multi-Modal Transportation Team is made up of 30+ transportation engineers, planners, and technologists who work in our various offices and collaborate as our “One Studio” to develop innovative approaches to mobility and community livability. Our team is known for both big picture thinking and getting the details right, which enables our projects to transition smoothly from plan to implementation.
Working for WATT in our Multi-modal Transportation Team has the following benefits:
- Agile, Innovative and Responsive – As a smaller, employee-owned consulting firm, WATT is proud of our ability to respond quickly to new ideas and opportunities, as well as challenges as they arise. We are a company of fun, warm, innovative and solution-focused individuals and we welcome (and invite!) other like-minded folks to contribute to a more positive future together with us.
- Collaborative Leadership – Our organization believes strongly in diverse and collaborative leadership. Our Transportation Team is jointly led by our two female VPs and our larger team of senior professionals. Wherever possible we provide opportunities for all staff to be involved in shaping and improving the work we do, contributing to the development of our organization, and setting a course for the future.
- True Workplace Flexibility – Whether you’re an emerging professional that still wants time to see the world, a new parent craving a schedule that works better for your family, or an experienced senior professional looking to downshift, our workplace offers many flexible arrangements that can better blend work and your personal life. This includes:
– A suite of flexible and reduced work week options for the right candidates, including opportunities for four-day or part-time work, flex-day arrangements, and workday scheduling flexibility around our core hours.
– Opportunity for a range of hybrid work options, including a mix of working from your base office, our other office locations, and working from home / remotely.
– An overall approach that is focused on maintaining personal sustainability. While just like any job there may be times where deadlines or initiatives mean longer hours, one of our Team’s Principles is to try to minimize these and focus on keeping a balance. We reward and appreciate people for the work they do, and NOT grinding through long hours or weekends.
- Opportunities for Continued Professional Growth – WATT has an established and forward-thinking individual performance planning program that also includes many opportunities for mentoring. We pay for memberships in professional organizations, encourage staff to contribute to professional committees, and support the continued professional development of our team. Our larger team works together on multimodal projects across Western Canada, meaning that joining our transportation practice provides the opportunity for exposure to many transportation planning/engineering areas of focus, communities and contexts. There are opportunities for you to support our key services areas while having the freedom to explore and cultivate project work you are passionate about.
- We Walk (and Bike) the Talk – We are focused on creating safer, more sustainable and livable communities and we take action in our own offices and regions. Our offices are centrally located and equipped to support travel to them on foot, by bike and e-scooter and by transit. We offer secure bike parking as well as provide car share memberships where programs exist.
- Positive Workplace Culture – We offer a competitive suite of benefits and programs, including employer paid benefit plan, Group Deferred Profit Sharing, Health Savings / Tax Savings Account, and competitive salaries. In addition, we are a friendly, supportive and close-knit group. We do great work together in the office and we also connect outside of work for events, activities and volunteer opportunities.
If you are looking for a rewarding opportunity and to grow your career in a dynamic organization and share our interest in creating vibrant and livable communities, submit your resume to: email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Watt Consulting Group Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer.
From benefits and career development to work life balance, check out what it's like to work with us.
An employee-owned firm, we are locally invested and passionate about the work we do in our own backyard.
The collective voice of WATT Consulting Group, focusing on industry insights, trends and leadership.