Transportation Planner (Intermediate Position)
Location: Victoria, BC | Vancouver, BC | Kelowna, BC | Calgary, AB | Edmonton, AB
Closing Date: May 15, 2023
Transportation Planner (Intermediate Position)
WATT Consulting Group (WATT) is seeking an intermediate-level Transportation Planner to join our team at one of our offices (Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, BC or Calgary or Edmonton, AB), supporting future-focused multi-modal transportation planning on projects across Western Canada.
We are looking for a dynamic individual committed to high-quality professional work, meeting the needs of our clients, and working with our multi-disciplinary team to create vibrant and livable communities.
About the Role
The Transportation Planner will be involved in a wide range of multi-modal transportation projects. The primary responsibility will be to lead and support transportation planning projects and technical studies from start to finish. The role will also involve providing planning expertise to other members of our integrated team in both advisory and support roles. The following specific duties and responsibilities are expected:
- Apply technical planning expertise in the areas of active transportation, parking management, transit planning and scheduling, transportation demand management (TDM), future mobility (i.e., electric vehicles, electric bikes, micromobility, autonomous vehicles, etc.), community planning and urban design.
- Work on projects of all sizes in small, medium and large sized communities across Western Canada.
- Plan, support, and facilitate community engagement activities as part of our community planning projects, as well as attend client and Council meetings to present technical information in an accessible and clear manner.
- Supporting analysis and development of plans using a range of tools, including GIS, Excel, Adobe Creative Cloud, and other graphic/visualization software.
- Lead or support the preparation of proposals for public and private sector clients.
- Support senior staff with pursuing business development opportunities with past, current and prospective clients.
- Work with and support other WATT team members by assisting other project managers, peer-reviewing the technical work, and mentoring / advising other junior staff.
- Prepare written documentation of project work in a clear and concise manner, including letters, memos, and reports. The ability to prepare graphics to supplement reports is an asset.
- Plan and manage data collection programs and undertake field work and surveys/counts as required to support projects.
- Short day trips within the region of the hiring office may be required. There may also be potential for travel to support projects within Western Canada.
- Be prepared to lead by example by working alongside others on our team to continuously improve our transportation practice and the value we deliver to our clients and communities, including active participation in professional organizations and on-going professional development.
- Other duties as required.
Candidates should possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Four (4) or more years of professional planning experience preferably focused in transportation planning. Consideration will be given to candidates with less experience or experience in a related field. Demonstrated experience in the areas of active transportation planning, transit, parking management, transportation demand management, community planning, community engagement, and/or urban design is an asset.
- Full Member or eligibility for membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners (MCIP, RPP). Consideration may also be given to candidates with membership in related professions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office is required.
- Working knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS) software such as ArcGIS and QGIS as well as statistical packages is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of graphics creation software such as InDesign, Illustrator or SketchUp considered an asset.
- Demonstrated interest and passion in varied transportation subject matter.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong analytical and organization skills, particularly around managing multiple projects and contributing to multiple teams at any one time.
Since 1983, WATT Consulting Group has been a multi-disciplinary civil engineering, transportation planning and land survey practice, operating out of offices in Victoria, Vancouver, Okanagan, Calgary, and Edmonton. We provide transportation planning, engineering and geomatics services to a wide variety of public and private sector clients throughout Western Canada. Our mission is to exceed expectations in the delivery of quality, innovation and customized solutions for each unique project, community, and client. You will be joining a team that is passionate about what they do and who hold themselves to a high standard of excellence. We take our work to “HEART” – these are the values we hold high and strive to live by every day: Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect and Teamwork. #WEAREWATT
Our offices are centrally located in their respective centres and are easily accessed by walking, bike, transit or by car. Each building features a number of social and sustainable features (depending on the location) including bike storage rooms, showers, electric vehicle charging, daycare, etc. Some locations also provide a corporate carshare membership for work trips.
Our offices regularly hold social events that bring together team members and their families.
Our individual offices have smaller dymanic teams that operate together as ‘One Studio,’ with approximately 30 transportation engineers, planners, and technologists collaborating to develop innovative approaches to mobility and community livablility. Our larger team works together on multimodal projects across Western Canada, meaning that joining our transportation practice provides the opportunity for exposure to many transportation planning/engineering areas, communities and contexts. There are opportunities for you to support our key services areas while having the freedom to explore and cultivate project work you are passionate about.
WATT provides employer paid benefit plan, Group Deferred Profit Sharing, Health Savings / Tax Savings Account, and competitive salaries. We appreciate the ability to balance work and life ourselves and are open to similar flexible arrangements for the right candidate. We offer a very flexible work environment where our staff work from home and the office. Professional development opportunities would be supported through this role, including attending and presenting conferences, taking courses / training, etc.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity and to grow your career in a dynamic organization and share our interest in creating vibrant and livable communities, submit your resume by clicking on the ‘Apply Now‘ button.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. WATT Consulting Group is an equal opportunity employer.
From benefits and career development to work life balance, check out what it's like to work with us.
An employee-owned firm, we are locally invested and passionate about the work we do in our own backyard.
The collective voice of WATT Consulting Group, focusing on industry insights, trends and leadership.