Transportation Planner (Intermediate Position)
Location: Calgary, AB
Closing Date: November 15, 2023
Transportation Planner (Intermediate Position)
Want to help shape communities for a more sustainable and resilient future? Keen to work for an agile employee-owned organization that truly offers flexibility and support for wherever you are at in your life and career?
Put your transportation and community planning skills and passion for creating more livable communities into action by joining WATT’s collaborative Multi-modal Transportation Team as our next Transportation Planner.
At WATT, we are passionate about creating innovative and effective solutions for transportation challenges in communities of all sizes. We offer expert knowledge and exceptional results to our public and private clients across Western Canada. Our team is committed to finding unique solutions for pedestrian, bicycle, transit, safety and automobile transportation issues through comprehensive planning, design, and collaboration with industry experts.
We are looking for a motivated transportation planner to join our busy team based in our Calgary, AB office, with the opportunity to support projects from our other offices in Western Canada.
If you share our vision for multi-modal and sustainable transportation and want to advance your career, join us in our mission to develop thoughtful transportation plans and infrastructure for thriving communities.
About the Role
As a Transportation Planner at WATT, you will have the opportunity to play a key role in a variety of mobility projects and help develop our practice. You will lead and support transportation planning projects and technical studies from start to finish. You will also provide planning expertise to other members of our integrated team in both advisory and support roles, contributing to a collaborative and integrated project approach. The following specific duties and responsibilities are expected:
- Apply technical planning expertise in the areas of active transportation, parking management, transit planning and scheduling, transportation demand management (TDM), future mobility (i.e., electric vehicles, electric bikes, micromobility, autonomous vehicles, etc.), community planning and urban design.
- Work on projects of all sizes in small, medium and large sized communities across Western Canada, with a focus on projects in Calgary and southern Alberta.
- Plan, support, and facilitate community engagement activities as part of our community planning projects, as well as attend client and Council meetings to present technical information in an accessible and clear manner.
- Support analysis and development of plans using a range of tools, including GIS, Excel, Adobe Creative Cloud, and other graphic/visualization software.
- Lead or support the preparation of proposals for public and private sector clients.
- Support senior staff with pursuing business development opportunities with past, current and prospective clients.
- Work with and support other WATT team members by assisting other project managers, peer-reviewing the technical work, and mentoring / advising other junior staff.
- Prepare written documentation of project work in a clear and concise manner, including letters, memos, and reports. The ability to prepare graphics to supplement reports is an asset.
- Plan and manage data collection programs and undertake field work and surveys/counts as required to support projects.
- Short day trips within the Calgary and Alberta region may be required. There may also be potential for travel to support projects within Western Canada.
- Be prepared to lead by example by working alongside others on our team to continuously improve our transportation practice and the value we deliver to our clients and communities, including active participation in professional organizations and on-going professional development.
- Other duties as required.
Candidates should possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Four (4) or more years of professional planning experience preferably focused in transportation planning. Consideration will be given to candidates with less experience or experience in a related field. Demonstrated experience in the areas of active transportation planning, transit, parking management, transportation demand management, community planning, community engagement, and/or urban design is an asset.
- Full Member or eligibility for membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners (MCIP, RPP). Consideration may also be given to candidates with membership in related professions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office is required.
- Working knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS) software such as ArcGIS and QGIS as well as statistical packages is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of graphics creation software such as InDesign, Illustrator or SketchUp considered an asset.
- Demonstrated interest and passion in varied transportation subject matter.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong analytical and organization skills, particularly around managing multiple projects and contributing to multiple teams at any one time.
- A valid AB Drivers’ License is required for this position.
Watt Consulting Group Ltd. (WATT) is a multi-disciplinary employee-owned firm offering transportation engineering and planning, civil engineering, geotechnical and geomatics services. Based out of our offices in Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna and beyond, our team undertakes projects throughout Western and Central Canada with clients that include communities, public entities, non-profits, and the private sector.
Our mission is to exceed expectations in the delivery of quality, innovative and customized solutions for each unique project, community, and client. You will be joining a team that is passionate about what we do and who hold ourselves to a high standard of excellence. We take our work to “HEART” – these are the values we hold high and strive to live by every day: Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect and Teamwork.
Our Multi-Modal Transportation Team is made up of 30+ transportation engineers, planners, and technologists who work in our various offices and collaborate as our “One Studio” to develop innovative approaches to mobility and community livability. Our team is known for both big picture thinking and getting the details right, which enables our projects to transition smoothly from plan to implementation.
Working for WATT in our Multi-modal Transportation Team has the following benefits:
- Agile, Innovative and Responsive – As a smaller, employee-owned consulting firm, WATT is proud of our ability to respond quickly to new ideas and opportunities, as well as challenges as they arise. We are a company of fun, warm, innovative and solution-focused individuals and we welcome (and invite!) other like-minded folks to contribute to a more positive future together with us.
- Collaborative Leadership – Our organization believes strongly in diverse and collaborative leadership. Our Transportation Team is jointly led by our two female VPs and our larger team of senior professionals. Wherever possible we provide opportunities for all staff to be involved in shaping and improving the work we do, contributing to the development of our organization, and setting a course for the future.
- True Workplace Flexibility – Whether you’re an emerging professional that still wants time to see the world, a new parent craving a schedule that works better for your family, or an experienced senior professional looking to downshift, our workplace offers many flexible arrangements that can better blend work and your personal life. This includes:
– A suite of flexible and reduced work week options for the right candidates, including opportunities for four-day or part-time work, flex-day arrangements, and workday scheduling flexibility around our core hours.
– Opportunity for a range of hybrid work options, including a mix of working from your base office, our other office locations, and working from home / remotely.
– An overall approach that is focused on maintaining personal sustainability. While just like any job there may be times where deadlines or initiatives mean longer hours, one of our Team¡¦s Principles is to try to minimize these and focus on keeping a balance. We reward and appreciate people for the work they do, and NOT grinding through long hours or weekends.
- Opportunities for Continued Professional Growth – WATT has an established and forward-thinking individual performance planning program that also includes many opportunities for mentoring. We pay for memberships in professional organizations, encourage staff to contribute to professional committees, and support the continued professional development of our team. Our larger team works together on multimodal projects across Western Canada, meaning that joining our transportation practice provides the opportunity for exposure to many transportation planning/engineering areas of focus, communities and contexts. There are opportunities for you to support our key services areas while having the freedom to explore and cultivate project work you are passionate about.
- We Walk (and Bike) the Talk – We are focused on creating safer, more sustainable and livable communities and we take action in our own offices and regions. Our offices are centrally located and equipped to support travel to them on foot, by bike and e-scooter and by transit. We offer secure bike parking as well as provide car share memberships where programs exist.
- Positive Workplace Culture – We offer a competitive suite of benefits and programs, including employer paid benefit plan, Group Deferred Profit Sharing, Health Savings / Tax Savings Account, and competitive salaries. In addition, we are a friendly, supportive and close-knit group. We do great work together in the office and we also connect outside of work for events, activities and volunteer opportunities.
If you are looking for a rewarding opportunity and to grow your career in a dynamic organization and share our interest in creating vibrant and livable communities, submit your resume to: email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Watt Consulting Group Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer.
From benefits and career development to work life balance, check out what it's like to work with us.
An employee-owned firm, we are locally invested and passionate about the work we do in our own backyard.
The collective voice of WATT Consulting Group, focusing on industry insights, trends and leadership.