Closing Date: January 6, 2022
Since 1983, WATT Consulting Group has encompassed a multi-disciplinary transportation planning and engineering practice, operating out of offices in Victoria, Vancouver, the Okanagan, Calgary, and Edmonton. We provide transportation planning, engineering, geotechnical, and geomatics services to a wide variety of public and private sector clients in Western Canada. We strive to achieve our Vision of being a recognized leader in the creation of vibrant and liveable communities. You will be joining a team that is passionate about what they do and who hold themselves to a high standard of excellence. We take our work to “HEART” – these are the values we hold high and strive to live by every day: Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect, and Teamwork.
Purpose of Role
The Transportation Technologist will be involved with a wide range of multi-modal transportation projects, including transportation plans, traffic impact assessments, and parking studies. The primary responsibilities will be to assist our Transportation Engineering and Planning staff with various elements of transportation projects, functions including drafting, design, computations, analysis, and report writing, as well as field functions such traffic and parking data collection, site inspection, and general field visits in support of projects. The role will also provide administrative and business process support as required to projects and the Transportation Division. Those with engineering qualification would have the ability to move into an EIT role if selected as a successful candidate.
Candidates should possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Hold a post-secondary degree or diploma in Civil Engineering or equivalent.
- Are currently registered or have eligibility to with The Association of Science & Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta or APEGA.
- Are a self-motivated individual.
- Ideally have a strong working knowledge/proficiency in AutoCAD (required) and Civil 3D (considered an asset).
- Working knowledge of transportation related software such as Synchro/SimTraffic, SIDRA, CAD or HCS is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of TAC Geometric Design Guide, MUTCDC, MoTI manuals, and other relevant manuals.
- Possess effective written and verbal communication skills including report writing.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Working knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS) software such as ArcGIS and QGIS are considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of graphics creation software such as InDesign or SketchUp considered an asset.
- Exhibit attention to detail and accuracy / detailed oriented.
- Work well in a team environment.
- Have strong organizational skills/highly organized with the ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines (or work in faced paced environment with tight deadlines).
- Ability to work on multiple projects at one time for multiple project managers
- Comfortable in bringing ideas and suggestions forward.
- A valid Drivers’ Licence and access to a personal vehicle is required for this position. While our team is a strong supporter of walking, cycling and transit, the multiple survey sites that may be covered and the need to transport equipment means that access to a personal vehicle is needed for this role. Mileage expenses are reimbursed.
- Keen interest in municipal, community, and sustainability concerns.
- Enjoy being an active member of your community.
- Able to lift and carry traffic counting equipment (up to approximately 18kg / 40 lbs), as well as work outside in all typical Alberta weather conditions.
- Traffic and transportation operations analysis and modelling
- Planning, assessing, designing, drafting multi-modal transportation improvements on arterial, collector, and local corridors
- Transportation Impact Assessments
- Traffic Management Plans
- Transportation Master Plans
- Safety Studies
- Manual intersection counts for periods of up to four hours at a time.
- Conducting in-field transportation surveys and counts, including surveys of parking capacity at multiple locations and intersection counts.
- Setting up, monitoring, and taking down traffic count equipment, including road tubes, controllers, and video cameras.
- Data entry and preliminary analysis/verification of collected transportation survey information in MS Excel, as well as viewing and tabulating information from intersection recorded video.
- Field Work including Data Collection and Site Inspection.
- Occasional after hours work for council, public meetings, and travel to project sites.
- Assisting with preparation of written materials and graphics to support projects and proposals, including letters, memos, reports and proposal submissions.
- Attend client, community and Council meetings in a support role.
- Assisting with administrative tasks. On a project level, these administrative tasks may include assisting the project manager with file set up, project coordination and logistics. On a divisional or organizational level, these may involve assisting the President or Regional Leads with administrative and business processes.
- Day trips within Alberta may be required. There may also be potential for travel to support projects within Western Canada.
- Other duties as required.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity and to grow your career in a dynamic organization and share our interest in creating vibrant and livable communities, please submit your resume!
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. WATT Consulting Group is an equal opportunity employer.
From benefits and career development to work life balance, check out what it's like to work with us.
An employee-owned firm, we are locally invested and passionate about the work we do in our own backyard.
The collective voice of WATT Consulting Group, focusing on industry insights, trends and leadership.