Transportation Engineer (Intermediate or Senior)
Location: Vancouver, BC | Kelowna, BC
Closing Date: April 3, 2023
Transportation Engineer (Intermediate or Senior)
At WATT Consulting Group, we are passionate about creating innovative and effective solutions for transportation challenges in urban environments. We offer expert knowledge and exceptional results to our public and private clients across Western Canada. Our team is committed to finding unique solutions for pedestrian, bicycle, transit, safety and automobile transportation issues through comprehensive planning, design, and collaboration with industry experts.
We are looking for a motivated mid-career transportation engineer to join our busy team based in either our Okanagan or Vancouver offices, with the opportunity to support projects from our other offices in Western Canada. If you share our vision for multi-modal and sustainable transportation and aspirational to advance your career, join us in our mission to design thoughtful transportation plans and infrastructure for thriving communities.
About the Role
As an Intermediate or Senior Transportation Engineer at WATT, you will have the opportunity to play a key role in a variety of mobility projects and will also have the opportunity to help develop our practice. You will be involved in everything from multi-modal planning and design to traffic operations and impact assessments. Your primary focus will be to oversee transportation engineering projects from inception to completion, with the help of junior and technical team members. Additionally, you will provide transportation engineering expertise to your colleagues in both advisory and supportive capacities, contributing to a collaborative and integrated project approach. The following specific duties and responsibilities are expected:
- Ensure the successful delivery of transportation engineering projects, including scheduling, budgeting, client communication, and compliance with corporate quality control processes.
- Leverage your technical expertise in transportation engineering to provide clients with practical and effective solutions for network analysis, transportation impact assessments, active transportation planning and design, and multi-modal road safety.
- Take charge of the conceptual and functional design of transportation facilities such as transit exchanges, bike/pedestrian paths, intersections, and other multi-modal infrastructure.
- Collaborate with WATT team members by assisting other project managers, conducting peer-reviews, and mentoring junior staff.
- Represent WATT in client, community, and council meetings and other public engagement activities, effectively communicating technical information.
- Write clear and concise documentation for projects, including technical letters, memos, and reports
- Drive business development efforts by pursuing opportunities with past, current, and prospective clients, and leading proposal preparation.
- Maintain technical competency in transportation engineering and project delivery, including active participation in professional organizations and on-going professional development.
- Manage data collection programs and continuously improve the transportation practice and value delivered to clients and communities.
- Be prepared to lead by example by working alongside others on our team to continuously improve our transportation practice and the value we deliver to our clients and communities.
- Travel within British Columbia as required, as well as opportunity for travel to support other projects within Western Canada
Candidates should possess the following qualifications and skills:
- A registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or the ability to become a P.Eng. with the Engineers & Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC) within one (1) month of accepting the position.
- At least five (5+) or more years of transportation engineering experience.
- Project management / leadership skills and ability to support the management team in a growing and diverse practice preferably focused in any/all of the following areas: transportation master plans, active transportation planning and design, traffic operations and site analysis, traffic management plans for construction zones, signal timing, safety audits, traffic modeling, and traffic calming.
- Experience with ArcGIS, AutoCAD or MicroStation
- Experience using capacity analysis / microsimulation software such as Synchro / SimTraffic, and SIDRA required.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong analytical and organization skills.
- Physically located within British Columbia and able to attend in-person meetings as required.
- Direct experience managing projects with clients.
- PTOE or RSP certification is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of key technical manuals such as TAC, ITE, NACTO, and Provincial Manuals.
- Experience in the following supporting areas is an asset: parking management, transportation demand management (TDM), transit planning and operations, and civil design.
- A valid BC Drivers’ License.
Since 1983, WATT Consulting Group has been a multi-disciplinary civil engineering, transportation planning and land survey practice, operating out of offices in Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria, Vancouver, and the Okanagan. We provide transportation planning, engineering and geomatics services to a wide variety of public and private sector clients throughout Western Canada. Our mission is to exceed expectations in the delivery of quality, innovation and customized solutions for each unique project, community, and client. You will be joining a team that is passionate about what they do and who hold themselves to a high standard of excellence. We take our work to “HEART” – these are the values we hold high and strive to live by every day: Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect and Teamwork. #WEAREWATT
Our individual offices have smaller dynamic teams that operate together as ‘One Studio,’ with more than 20 transportation engineers, planners, and technologists collaborating to develop innovative approaches to mobility and community livability. Our larger team works together on multimodal projects across Western Canada, meaning that joining our transportation practice provides the opportunity for exposure to many transportation planning/engineering areas, communities and contexts. There are opportunities for you to support our key services areas while having the freedom to explore and cultivate project work you are passionate about.
WATT provides employer paid benefit plan, Group Deferred Profit Sharing, Health Savings / Tax Savings Account, and competitive salaries. We appreciate the ability to balance work and life ourselves and are open to similar flexible arrangements for the right candidate.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity and to grow your career in a dynamic organization, owned and led by employees, submit your resume by clicking on the ‘Apply Now‘ button.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. WATT Consulting Group is an equal opportunity employer.
From benefits and career development to work life balance, check out what it's like to work with us.
An employee-owned firm, we are locally invested and passionate about the work we do in our own backyard.
The collective voice of WATT Consulting Group, focusing on industry insights, trends and leadership.