Transportation AutoCAD & Technical Assistant
Location: Victoria | Calgary
Transportation AutoCAD & Technical Assistant
WATT Consulting Group (WATT) is immediately seeking two Transportation AutoCAD & Technical Assistants to assist our Transportation team over approximately the next four months. These positions would use AutoCAD to support transportation design and traffic management plans, as well as assist our team with collecting and analyzing the multi-modal transportation data we use in multiple projects.
In particular, these positions would be well-suited to Engineering or Technologist students with an existing familiarity with AutoCAD and who are interested in the field of transportation and wish to gain entry-level experience working with our multi-disciplinary team creating vibrant and livable communities.
About the Role
The Transportation AutoCAD & Technical Assistant will be involved with a wide range of multi-modal transportation projects, including traffic management plans, traffic impact assessments, transportation plans, and parking studies. The primary responsibilities will be to assist our Transportation Engineering and Planning staff with various elements of transportation projects, including AutoCAD drawings, data collection (on-street data collection, manual intersection counts, residential and commercial parking data collection, data entry, and engagement support), data analysis, research/summarization, report writing, and proposal development. The role will also provide administrative and business process support as required to projects and the Transportation Division.
- 1 position will be associated with our Victoria, BC office and 1 position with our Calgary, AB office. However, either position may be filled virtually.
Candidates should possess the following qualifications and skills:
- An undergraduate degree, preferably with a focus of study related to Engineering (ideally a transportation focus) or Geography, or a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology, or relevant education in another field related to the study of cities and transportation networks. Students who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or diploma program related to the fields above will also be considered.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD is required, and experience with AutoCAD is an asset.
- Working knowledge of transportation related software such as Synchro/SimTraffic, SIDRA, and HCS is considered an asset.
- Experience with key technical manuals applicable in BC and AB would be considered an asset, including some or all of the following: TAC Geometric Design Guide, BC Traffic Management Manual for Work on Roadways (TMM), BC Supplement to TAC Guide, MUTCDC, the BC Active Transportation Design Guide, NACTO Design Guides, BC MoTI Signage and Pavement Marking manual, and MMCD.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills as well as strong analytical and organization skills.
- Ability to work on several projects at one time for multiple project managers, as well as work in independently in the field.
- Transportation-related planning or engineering experience or familiarity with municipal development / planning processes would be considered an asset.
- A valid BC or AB Drivers’ Licence is required. Access to a personal vehicle is an asset (mileage expenses are reimbursed).
- Able to lift and carry traffic counting equipment (up to approximately 18kg / 40 lbs), as well as work outside in all typical west coast weather conditions.
- Drafting traffic management plans, functional road plans, sight distance assessments, swept path analyses, and redlines of architectural site plans in AutoCAD
- Conducting in-field transportation surveys and counts, including surveys of parking capacity at multiple locations and intersection counts.
- Manual intersection counts for periods of up to four hours at a time.
- Setting up, monitoring, and taking down traffic count equipment, including road tubes, controllers, and video cameras.
- Data entry and preliminary analysis/verification of collected transportation survey information in MS Excel, as well as viewing and tabulating information from intersection recorded video.
- Supporting the development of transportation plans and analyses, including assisting with traffic management plans, traffic impact assessments, and preliminary assessment of pedestrian and signal warrants.
- Assisting with preparation of written materials and graphics to support projects and proposals, including letters, memos, reports and proposal submissions.
- Day trips within the Vancouver Island/Coastal BC or Southern Alberta regions (depending on location of successful applicant) may be required.
- Other duties as required.
Since 1983, WATT Consulting Group has been a multi-disciplinary civil engineering, transportation planning and land survey practice, operating out of offices in Victoria, Vancouver, Okanagan, Calgary, Edmonton, and Lloydminster. We provide transportation planning, engineering and geomatics services to a wide variety of public and private sector clients throughout Western Canada. Our mission is to exceed expectations in the delivery of quality, innovation and customized solutions for each unique project, community, and client. You will be joining a team that is passionate about what they do and who hold themselves to a high standard of excellence. We take our work to “HEART” – these are the values we hold high and strive to live by every day: Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect and Teamwork. #WEAREWATT
Our Victoria and Calgary offices are centrally located and easily accessed by walking, bike, transit or by car.
Our offices hold regular social events that bring together team members and their families. We appreciate the ability to balance work and life ourselves and are open to similar flexible arrangements for the right candidate.
Our individual offices have smaller dynamic teams that operate together as ‘One Studio,’ with approximately 30 transportation engineers, planners, and technologists collaborating to develop innovative approaches to mobility and community livability. Our larger team works together on multimodal projects across Western Canada, meaning that joining our transportation practice provides the opportunity for exposure to many transportation planning/engineering areas, communities and contexts. There are opportunities for you to support our key services areas while having the freedom to explore and cultivate project work you are passionate about.
WATT provides employer paid benefit plan, Group Deferred Profit Sharing, Health Savings / Tax Savings Account, and competitive salaries. We appreciate the ability to balance work and life ourselves and are open to similar flexible arrangements for the right candidate.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity and to grow your career in a dynamic organization, owned and led by employees, submit your resume to by clicking on the Apply Now button (also located on the right).
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. WATT Consulting Group is an equal opportunity employer.
From benefits and career development to work life balance, check out what it's like to work with us.
An employee-owned firm, we are locally invested and passionate about the work we do in our own backyard.
The collective voice of WATT Consulting Group, focusing on industry insights, trends and leadership.